While I was enjoying my time with my bike it was hard not to rev the bike to the max. The manual instructed me not to cross 4500 rpm for the first 500kms and keep it below 6500rpm for the first 1000 meaning not to exceed 60 kmph for the first 500 and 80kmph for the first 1000kmph. I would like to add something here. Many believe that they should maintain the speed and not exceed it for the first 1000 kms which is wrong. It is the rpm that they should maintain. If you go at 30kmph and you are in first gear you are busted.
One more common misconception among Indians is that one should nit use the right or the front brake which is not correct. While it is dangerous to use only the right or front brake at high speeds it is absolutely necessary to use both the brakes for optimum braking. If this is false then why manufacturers give importance to right disk brakes over the left. Ok now over to my personal ramblings.
I was determined to do the first 1000kms as fast as I could. So I went on long rides every weekend and within a month I completed the first 1000kmps. Oh I forgot to mention I couldn't resist my temptation and exceeded the rpm limit once.
I have crashed three times since I purchased the bike.
First crash:
I was riding at about 60kmph and this bicycle guy came from nowhere and while I tried to avoid crashing him my bike skidded and I landed pretty badly with my brand new Arrow shirt and Lee jeans torn. The bike had a broken footpeg and I was thankful that nothing worse happened to me or my bike. As usual there was a small commotion after the crash with people giving advices they never follow.
Second crash:
It happened in my college. I was about to return home after college when one of my friends asked me to drop him some blocks away, well being the nice guy I complied and while coming back another guy who is a total auto freak asked for a ride and again I complied. He was riding the bike and I was the pillion. He became excited and was riding like mad and right in the second corner we crashed right into concrete slabs with the bikes front wheel caught in a hole. I was really mad at that guy but controlled my anger as he was injured. I escaped without suffering any injuries save some bruises. The repair costed 700 odd bucks which included small paint job and replacing the handlebar. The paint job was so damn fantastic that I couldn't tell the difference. I was happy.
Third crash:
This is the most severe of all three crashes and I ended up injuring my leg pretty badly. My friend and I were riding our way to college at about 90kmph and I misjudged the road and went crashing from one side of the road to the other end. Our trousers were torn , yikes. The bike to my surprise suffered no damage save a twisted gear lever repairing which did not cost a buck. We crashed near a village and the people out there were really helpful. They offered us cool drinks, first aid and what not. We called up a friend who bought us fresh pants and we were on our way to college. Really the helmets that we were wearing saved us that day. The injuries took more than a month to heal.
To be continued.......
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment